Provide children and families with the upfront supports and services they need to prevent them from entering the child welfare system, and/or limit their involvement with the system once they are known to it.
Early Prevention: Ensure that families are provided with an array of upfront supports within their own communities to minimize their chances of entering the child welfare system and maximize their chances of living healthy and stable lives.
Continuum of Care: Create a structure that promotes good communication and coordination of services across entities assisting children and families once they become known to the child protection system.
Work To Date
- Released Delinquency Prevention Recommendations for the County of Los Angeles
- Released a preliminary Countywide Prevention Metrics report
- Developed and now implementing a three-year prevention plan, Paving the Road to Safety for Our Children: A Prevention Plan for Los Angeles County
- Partnering with Department of Children and Family Services' (DCFS) Prevention & Aftercare community networks to expand and test various ways of providing support to families within their own communities
- Expanding access to home visitation and early care and education programs
- Released A Portrait of Los Angeles County report that partners and stakeholders are using in their planning efforts for targeting resources. Data from this report
is being added to the County's Open Data Portal.